Sunday, May 29, 2022

Wedding cake

"Mom, why do you keep calling it wedding cake? Is it multiple layers like a wedding cake?"

"It will always be wedding cake Jonathan, even when it's not."

I love my local cupcake dealer Carter, aka Sugar Diva, but it's been 5 years since I've had wedding cake, and it was time. 

Wedding cake is more than just the incredible flavor. Wedding cake, a cake by Karen Rodkey, is a cake of memories.

I went to one bridal show in preparation for my 1999 wedding. It was there, in Westminster Maryland that I found Karen. Wedding cake. Mine was chocolate, red velvet, and a top tier of marble. 

My mom loved wedding cake too. From 2000 til 2003, my sister and I bought her wedding cake for her birthday. She died in 2004, before her next birthday. 

The only requirement I had for my 2008 baby shower with Jonathan, was wedding cake. If there was to be cake, it was to be Karen's cake. And so it was.

Move forward 8 years, Eric and Caryn are planning their wedding. Hey, I told them. I got a lady for your cake. Use her and I'll pay for your cake. Caryn tried to break it to me gently... we already picked someone. But then she added, she's in Littlestown, PA and her name is Karen.

How excited was I to tell them that their wedding cake was going to be covered by me?

When I say I want wedding cake; it's not just the taste. It's the memories. The smell of cake the day after my vows because Ghon decided to shove it in and up. It's the blue onsie decorated in top to welcome Jonathan. And of course, another wedding. Little did we know that Eric would have that cake in 1999 and again at his own in 2017.

Today, I drove to Pennsylvania to get wedding cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment